Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Taking a Good Idea and Letting it Dissolve.

"Kickstarter allows filmmakers who otherwise would have NO access to Hollywood and NO access to serious investors to scrounge up enough money to make their movies....Recently, Kickstarter was used to fund a new VERONICA MARS movie. This is obscene to me. It’s a known television series distributed by a major studio...This is what Hollywood does...it sees an opportunity for exploitation and it takes it." Read the full Blog here.

This hits close to home for me.

When I envision people logging into Kickstarter to throw money and support to the arts, I visualize people tossing a few bucks to some struggling artists, filmmakers, product designers, or whatever. Now on the eve of our biggest struggle yet, The Roost has begun to toss around the idea of using a Kickstarter as our last ditch effort to save our space. But now I suddenly find our pet project in competition with Veronica Mars and Zack Fucking Braff, and I am disgusted. This was an idea that was meant to help people, and is now being turned around to harm the people is was designed for. These "artists" are taking money from the pockets of people who truely need it, artists like myself and my partners, artists who are trying to fund a show from their tip money, using that last little bit of their shitty ass tax refund to repaint a gallery wall, artists who are always late on the rent, who come home afraid that, any day now, they will lose everything that they have worked for.

Artists like us.

The Roost can't compete toe to toe with Zach Braff trying to make some shitty indie-comedy (that will be lost to obscurity 6 months after its release), or Veronica Mars shaking her pre-pubescent tits at fapping populations of sickly old perverts and tweens in lipliner across the globe. And The Roost shouldn't have to compete with them. But unfortunatley, all good ideas will eventually be bought from us at a cost we don't understand, and subsequently sold back to us at a price we can't afford.

In the meantime, I guess I will cash in my change at Coinstar to try and keep the lights on.


No comments:

Post a Comment